2021-2022 ESSER III/School Innovation and Improvement Plan
View our outcome goals for this academic year
Complete ESSER School Funding Plans
2021-2022 ESSER III/SIIP At-a-Glance
For additional information regarding this School Plan, please contact the school principal.
Groveton Elementary School
James Swoger, Principal
Background: The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) is a federal grant which requires that spending be used in specific areas. Part of the Fairfax County Public Schools spending plan identifies funding to be used for Unfinished Learning and Student Academic and Social, Emotional, Mental Health (Wellness) Needs. Schools have been given funding allocations to support the academic and wellness needs of students. Schools are required to create plans in English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Wellness highlighting the strategies they will use to support these areas using their ESSER III funding. These strategies are shown below.
ESSER III English Language Arts Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
- Provide students with access to materials (take home books, recordings) and support parents in how to work with their children at home. Students will have increased literacy opportunities at home.
- Students with reading needs at tiers II or III based on school decision rules will receive reading interventions to directly address their needs.
- Provide teachers with needs-based, job-embedded learning to implement Tier 1 instructional strategies that engage all students based on student data and teacher needs assessment
ESSER III Mathematics Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in Mathematics.
- Provide teachers with needs-based, job-embedded learning to implement Tier 1 instructional strategies that engage all students based on teacher needs assessment
ESSER III Wellness Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students feel safe, included, and supported in the school environment.
- Strengthen evidenced-based Tier 1 SEL strategies.
- Strengthen staff understanding of SEL and evidence-based strategies.
Access & Opportunity End of Year SMARTR Outcome
Background: All Fairfax County schools are also required to complete an access and opportunity goal as part of their School Innovation and Improvement Plan (SIIP) and can also capture additional goals. These are shown below.
Goal: We will provide all students with access to rigor Level 1 as part of their Tier 1 instruction at least once per week. All students will have opportunities to engage by demonstrating higher order thinking skills in either whole group, small group or independent work.
- Increase opportunities for students to engage with advanced academic curriculum in all classrooms with targeted support for YS, ELs, and SWDs.