Attendance Policies and Procedures
Procedures and policies regarding student attendance
Groveton Elementary School
Regular school attendance supports learning to read by 3rd grade, high school graduation, and future study and career success. In Virginia, all students aged five (5) through eighteen (18) are required to attend school regularly. FCPS must record student attendance every day school is in session.
At Groveton Elementary, we partner with families to ensure that all students feel welcome and included, as well as to remove barriers to school attendance.
Parents and guardians are expected to make every effort to support regular school attendance. This involves using the FCPS school year calendar, to plan regular appointments and trips.
- Report an absence using one of the following three methods.
- Early Checkout: Any parent wishing to pick up a student early must do so no later than 3:00 p.m. We hope to alleviate disruption to instruction. Please schedule your appointments accordingly.
- Students should come to school unless seriously ill.
- A doctor’s note specifying the days a child should stay home is required to excuse absences due to illness.
If you know in advance that your child will be absent from school for multiple days, you must come to the Front Office to complete a pre-arranged absence form at least 48 hours before the date of the absence.
A school staff member will contact you to make a plan for your child’s attendance upon return to school.
Please note FCPS issued computers do NOT work outside of the US. Schoology and Google Drive can be accessed using personal devices.
Teachers are not required to provide make-up work for students who participate in an extended trip during the school year.
Groveton Elementary does not excuse absences due to travel.
Students are expected to attend part of the school day on the day of an appointment, unless a doctor’s note states otherwise.
Please refer to the early checkout procedures below for an afternoon appointment.
- 5-day letter: In accordance with FCPS policy, families will receive a letter upon 5 absences requesting that parents/guardians contact the school to make a plan to support attendance.
- 10-day letter: Also in accordance with FCPS policy, families will receive a letter upon 10 absences requesting a family partnership conference.