Children and communities Achieving Lifelong Mindfulness
Our Vision for CALM (Children and communities Achieving Lifelong Mindfulness)
To teach our students wellness strategies and skills that will improve their ability to cope with the many challenges of life and to make choices that aid in living life to the fullest.
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is about paying full attention to what is happening in the present moment and not be overly reactive or overwhelmed by what's going on around us.
What is Wellness?
Wellness is the ability to make choices toward a healthy and fulfilling life.
The World Heath Organization defines wellness as "...a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."
CALM Program Goals
- Provide lessons in wellness techniques such as mindfulness, self-regulation, yoga, and other healthy lifestyle options
- Explain why wellness techniques are important for a healthy lifestyle for our students, staff, and community members
- Develop listening skills
- Develop focusing skills
- Develop empathy and emotional self-regulation
- Develop stress reduction skills (leads to reduced anxiety)
- Develop physical competence